How to add UPS as an integrated carrier in Auctiva Commerce
Auctiva Commerce will integrate with UPS to provide its shipping services with accurate shipping charges for your customers at checkout. This tutorial will show you how to configure UPS in Auctiva Commerce.
How to add UPS
It's important to consider the shipping parameters (i.e., warehouses, shipping zones and user groups) associated with this shipping method in advance to adding the integrated carrier. As soon as shipping services are added from this integrated carrier, it becomes instantly available to all warehouses, all shipping zones and all user groups by default. You will need to quickly edit each shipping service to define these parameters. Otherwise, an order could be made that is not intended to be shipped by this method. The safest way to add a new integrated carrier is to enable the Suspend Purchasing mode (Store> Configure> Store Settings). Enabling this mode will hide all the "Add to Cart" buttons. Once you edit the shipping methods so that they have the correct parameters, you can disable the Suspend Purchasing mode to resume ordering on your store.
If an order is eligible for an integrated shipping service, the integrated carrier checks the customer's order information (i.e., shipment weight, shipment dimensions and origin/destination addresses) to assess an estimated shipping charge. Most often, the carrier uses only the Zip Code and not the entire address to compute the estimated charge. The actual shipping charge may slightly vary due to fuel surcharges and other fees when you create the actual delivery using the exact origin and destination addresses that the carrier requires to make the shipment. If this becomes a problem, you can consider adding a small handling fee to each integrated shipping method to help cover the spread between estimated shipping charges and actual shipping charges.
Step 1. Review the UPS licensing agreement.
Before you can do anything, you must review and agree to the UPS licensing agreement. You can do this in your Auctiva Commerce administration.
- Go to Store> Shipping> Integrated Carriers.
- Click the Add a Carrier button.
- Click the UPS link.
- Click Next.
- Review the licensing agreement provided. You may want to print a copy of this agreement for your records.
- If you agree to the UPS terms and agreement, choose the "Yes, I Do Agree" option and click the Next button. The registration form will load.
- Click Next.
Step 2. Register with UPS.
Complete the following form with your contact information from your UPS account. A box with "R" next to it means the field is required. This form is strictly for providing UPS with your contact information. Should you not want UPS to contact you, make sure you select the "No" option at bottom of this form.
- Contact Name: Type in the name of the primary contact for your store.
- Title: Enter in the job title of the contact person
- Company Name: Enter the store name.
- Web site URL: Enter the store URL.
- Enter your store's street address, city, state/providence, zip/postal code and country. You may provide a second address if desired.
- Phone: Enter a phone number where UPS can contact you.
- E-mail: Enter an e-mail address.
- UPS Account Number: Type in your UPS account number if you have a one.
- Click the Next button.
Step 3. Configure UPS settings.
This is an important step, as the settings you enter here can affect the rates UPS returns after you enter the shipping weights and dimensions of your products.
- Fill in the appropriate information on the form.
- Instance Name: You do not need to edit this field. The default name will work.
- Select the Customer Type that best suits you. You can choose from:
- Daily Pickup: A UPS driver comes to your location each day for package pickup (weekly service charge applies).
- Occasional Shipper: You have your own UPS account number and it's your responsibility to drop the package into the UPS System.
- Suggested Retail Rates: You pay for shipments at the UPS Store. The shipping label is created and printed at the UPS Store or UPS Customer Counter.
- Decide if you will allow UPS to add insurance into the calculated shipping rate.
- Do not edit Live Mode, Test Mode and Tracking URLs. These come pre-configured when you create a shipping account through Auctiva Commerce.
- Debug Mode: When debug mode is enabled, all messages sent to and received from UPS are logged. This should only be enabled at the direction of qualified support personnel.
- Click the Update button.
Step 4. Configure UPS shipping methods.
It's highly recommended that you enable the Suspend Purchasing mode if you haven't done so already. This next step will add services to your store. By default, it will make the shipping services available to all warehouses, shipping zones, and user groups. This means you could get an order that uses a shipping service not intended for that type of order in the time it takes to edit each service.
- Click on the "Services (Shipping Methods)" tab to go to the Provider Shipping Methods menu. On this page, you'll see "Provider Services Configured" box on the top. The services that you have not yet configured are in the "Provider Services Not Configured" box at the bottom. Services in the bottom section are not yet available to your customers.
- Check the boxes next to the shipping services you want to offer. Be sure to review the service details.
- Click the Default Configuration button. Selected methods will now appear on the top portion of this page and will be available to your customers.
Step 5. Customize your shipping service.
Now you're ready to customize each of the shipping services.
- Click on the Edit icon for a shipping service you just added. Each shipping service you added in Step 4 will need to be individually edited.
- Name: Enter in the name of the shipping method. This name will appear on your store at checkout.
- Service: Do not change this option. By default the service selected in Step 4 is automatically assigned to this shipping method.
- Handling Fee: Enter in any handling fees to be added to the shipping charges. Choose whether the handling fee is a Fixed Amount or Percent. The Fixed Amount will be the value you enter into this field and the Percent amount will take that percentage from the order amount to create the handling fee charge.
- Choose how you want the handling fee to show if there is a handling fee.
- Warehouses: Choose which warehouses that will be assigned to this shipping method. Choosing the All Warehouses option will apply this shipping method to every product in your store.
- Zones: Choose which shipping zones will be assigned to this shipping method. Choosing the All Zones option will allow customers in every shipping zone that you've created to receive shipments by this shipping method.
- Groups: Choose which user groups will be assigned to this shipping method. Choosing the All Groups option will allow all customers with eligible orders and shipping addresses to use this shipping method.
- Minimum Purchase: Enter in the minimum purchase value that a customer needs to spend on their order to be eligible for this method. Leave this field blank if there is no minimum purchase required.
- Tax Code: Choose a tax code option if you wish to assess taxes on the shipping charge. Don't choose a tax code if no taxes should be assessed on the shipping charge.
- Click the Save button. This will take you to the Configure Shipping Methods page, where all your shipping methods are displayed. Continue to repeat Step 5 for all the services you've added until each is properly set up.
Remember to disable the Suspend Purchasing mode if you're ready to start taking orders. Otherwise, keep it enabled as you set up additional critical store features.
This completes the task of integrating UPS into Auctiva Commerce. It's a good idea to check your storefront to make sure the UPS shipping methods do appear where you expect to find them.
Was this tutorial helpful? Tell us what you think in this quick survey. Your feedback is highly valued. Thank you.
◄ Back to Help